Council Elections take place every two years on the third Saturday in October, with 3 or 4 of the 7 Councillors being up for re-election. Elections will be held in October 2017, 2019, 2021 etc.

The President is elected every two years from within the elected Councillors, and represents the combined electorate.

Who Can Vote?


You can vote at Council elections if you are registered on the State Roll as a resident, before the rolls close, or have enrolled to vote as an owner or occupier at the Shire Office prior to the close of enrolments.

Claims for enrolment on the State Roll should be made at any Australian Electoral Commission or check on for current details.

Owners and Occupiers

You are eligible to be enrolled to vote if you are a non-resident owner or occupier of rateable property, provided that you are on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll. However, it is essential that you lodge an enrolment form. You can obtain an enrolment form from the Shire Office and lodge it before the closing day.

If you are not on the State or Commonwealth electoral roll, a claim can still be accepted, provided you were on the last owner and occupier’s roll for that electorate and have continued to own or occupy rateable property in that electorate continuously since that roll was prepared.

To be eligible to enrol as an occupier, you will need to have right of continuous occupation under a lease, tenancy agreement or other legal documents for at least the next 3 months following the date on the application to enrol.

Joint Owners and Occupiers

If a rateable property is owned or occupied by more than two persons, a majority of the owners/occupiers may nominate two persons from amongst themselves who are either on the State of Commonwealth rolls to enroll as owner/occupier electors.


A body corporate which owns or occupies rateable property may nominate two persons who are on either the State of Commonwealth electoral rolls, to enrol as owner/occupier electors.

Where to Vote

Polling places are advertised in “The Atoll” prior to the election.

Roll Registration

If you would like to apply for registration of the Shire’s Roll or wish to check that you are enrolled, please phone the Governance and Risk Coordinator, Ibrahim Macrae on (618) 9162 6649.

For further information regarding the elections, please contact the Chief Executive Officer on (618) 9162 6649.