Indian Ocean Territories Cocos Keeling Islands
Australia Day Award 2020
The Shire of Cocos (Keeling) Island invites you to nominate an outstanding individual or group for the 2020 Indian Ocean Territories Cocos (Keeling) Islands Australia Day Award to be presented on Australia Day celebration on Monday 27 January at Direction Island.
The award fosters, recognises and celebrates significant contributions to community life and active citizenship on the islands in the Territories. The award promotes national pride, community responsibility and participation.
Guidelines and Criteria
This year a local citizen or a local community group will be eligible for the Indian Ocean Territories Cocos (Keeling) Islands Australia Day Award.
The recipient will be selected from a person or a group who has made a noteworthy contribution during the current year, or given outstanding service to the local community over a number of years through active involvement.
The winner will have:
- Shown active citizenship;
- Made a significant contribution to the local community;
- Demonstrated leadership on a community issue resulting in the enhancement of community life;
- Brought about positive change and added value to community life; and
- Demonstrated inspiring qualities as a role model for the community.
- Nominees should reside or work principally within the Cocos (Keeling) Islands;
- The award may be granted posthumously in recognition of recent achievements;
- A group of people or a couple will not normally be eligible except when meeting the criteria for a community group;
- A person may receive an award on more than one occasion in recognition of their particularly outstanding community contribution or involvement in an alternative initiative;
- Unsuccessful nominees may be nominated in future years; and
- Outside the scope of their paid employment.
Submit your nominations to the CEO at the Cocos (Keeling) Islands Shire Office by 4.00pm Monday 20th January 2020.